rss feeds: Posts | Comments

Visas: Staying Legally in the Philippines


Visas are legal necessities that all foreign nationals must obtain to be able to stay in the Philippines.  First of all, one must be aware that there are two basic categories of visas here: Immigrant and Non-Immigrant. Immigrant visas allow foreigners to stay here as residents while Non-Immigrant are temporary visas that expire after a significant amount of time.

For those who are coming here for the first time, it is most likely that the passport you brought along with you got a 21-day stamp at the airport. Others have prepared beforehand and obtained a 59-day visa at the Philippine Consulate in their home countries before traveling to the Philippines. Either way, these are both considered Tourist Visas under the Non-Immigrant Visa category.

Staying for up to 16 months is possible on a Non-Immigrant Tourist Visa. Foreigners do that by going to the Bureau of Immigration Office every two months and getting a visa extension. You must however, leave the Philippines after this duration but you can always come back to do the whole process again. It gets pretty expensive but this is the most common way for foreigners to stay here for a longer period of time.

For foreigners who are not married to any Filipinos, there are still other options for staying long-term or permanently in the Philippines, but these are quite expensive. The SRVV or Special Retiree’s Resident Visa allows you to become a permanent resident of the Philippines without having to marry any Filipinos. This would appeal to most people who want to stay single and free and to other foreigners who are already married to someone in their home country. The major setback of the Special Retiree’s Resident Visa or the SRRV are the financial requirements:

  • With Pension
  •  (1) 50 years old and above – the required time deposit is US$10,000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000 for couple.
  • Without Pension
  • (1) 35 to 49 years old – US$50,000.00 time deposit
  • (2) 50 years old and above – US$20,000.00 time deposit

So basically, if you are 50 or older with  a monthly pension of at least $800 US and can spare $10,000 US as a deposit to a Philippine bank (you cannot withdraw it), then it might be a good deal for you. Should you not have any however, you will need $20,000 US. If you are under 50 (and at least 35) and don’t have a pension, you are going to need $50,000 US.

Other options for persons not married to any Filipinos would be a Working Visa, a Student Visa, or the new Special Visa for Employment Generation (SVEG). All  these types of visas are Non-Immigrant and temporary. They can however, be attained for longer periods of time and renewed without having to leave the country. Unlike the Tourist Visa, there aren’t any fees or a need to get a visa extension every two months. Working Visas and Student Visas are self-explanatory.

A Working Visa, Sec. 9G, is for pre-arranged employment. Most of the time, the company that hired you will get and pay for your Working Visa (if you have a special skill that they need). If not, it’s up to you to get the Working Visa and you will need the following: a notarized promise of employment, an Alien Employment Permit (or AEP), your employment contract, a few other tax-related paperworks, about P20,000 and a lot of patience. Keep in mind that if you quit or get fired, not only does your job end but your Working Visa becomes void as well and you will have to pay about P8,000 to get it converted to a Tourist Visa. For a Student Visa, Sec. 9F, you will need the following: an official Notice of Acceptance (NOA) from a University or College, multiple medical examinations, FBI clearance, some other notarized documents, about P10,000 to P15,000 and again plenty of patience. Of course, if you fail your course or drop out of school your Student Visa becomes void and you will have to pay about P8,000 to get it converted to a Tourist Visa.

What is the SVEG (Special Visa for Employment Generation)? It’s a new visa created under Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s administration which gives a foreigner who employs at least 10 Filipino employees the right to stay in the Philippines for as long as he/she keep up with the regulations of the visa. As with the Working and Student Visas, the SVEG may put you in a precarious situation because if your employees drop below ten or if you violate one of the details of the SVEG, your visa may be found void. Besides the former requirements, maintaining the SVEG visa may get pretty expensive.

If you are a foreigner in a special situation, there may be a special visa for you (see below). For foreigners who are not married to a Filipino citizen however, the above are your only options.

For a foreigner married to a Filipino citizen, you are eligible for two of the most convenient visas available: the Balikbayan Visa and the 13(A) Resident Visa.

The Balikbayan Visa is similar to the 21-day Tourist Visa stamp that you get at the airport, in the respect that it is also stamped at the airport upon entering the country (it’s not a visa in which you apply for at the BI office) and it’s free. The difference is that instead of staying for only 21 days, you get to stay in the Philippines for one year. You won’t  have to pay for anything and you never have to visit the BI office. The requirement for the Balikbayan Visa is that you must be the spouse or the unmarried child (under 21 years of age) of a Filipino citizen. You must also show satisfactory proof of your relationship to the Filipino citizen, and he/she MUST be traveling with you. Even if you are married to a Filipino, but if your spouse is not physically with you when you enter the country, then you are not eligible for the Balikbayan Visa. In addition to the above, should your spouse be physically with you but your marriage certificate is absent then you are not eligible the Balikbayan Visa.

The 13(A) Resident Visa is an Immigrant Visa available to a foreigner who is married to a Filipino citizen. If you are planning to move to the Philippines permanently, then you should think of acquiring this visa. It’s permanent so you never have to leave the country to renew or to extend it and citizenship in your home country will be retained. You need to bring to the BI office the following: an authenticated copy your spouse’s birth certificate from the National Statistic’s Office (NSO), a NSO authenticated copy of your marriage certificate, a notarized letter from your spouse petitioning the BI to allow you to receive the 13(A) Resident Visa, a copy of your passport and again, patience. The cost can run from P10,000 to P15,000 or more depending on how easy or difficult it is to get all your documents. After you submit all these, the processing time might be from one to two months or longer. If the application is approved, you will get a Probationary 13(A) Resident Visa which is good for one year. If you don’t get into any trouble within the duration of a year, you can convert your existing visa to a Permanent 13(A) Resident Visa by going back to the BI office and paying about another P10,000 in fees and handing in the required documents (pretty much the same documents as you submitted the first time).


9G Employment Visa

  • Work visa
  • Non-immigrant foreigner
  • Multiple entry privileges
  • Employer sponsored


Special Employment Generation Visa (SVEG)

  • Special visa
  • Non-immigrant foreigner
  • Multiple entry privileges
  • Employ at least 10 Filipinos


Special Investors Resident Visa

  • Invest $50,000 in tourism, or
  • Invest $75,000 in general, or
  • Retire with right to residency
  • Multiple entry privileges


Immigrant Quota & Non-Quota Visa Non-immigrant Visas in the Philippines

  • Temporary Visitor’s Visa (9a)
  • Transients Visa (9b)
  • Seaman’s Visa (9c)
  • Treaty Trader/Investor Visa (9d)
  • Diplomatic Visa (9e)
  • Pre-arranged Employment Visa


Special Non-immigrant Visa in the Philippines

  • Oil drilling companies
  • Philippine Economic Zone Authority Registered Enterprises
  • Board of Investment Registered Enterprises
  • Special Non-immigrant Visa for Employment Generation in the Philippines

Multiple Entry Special Visa in Philippines

  • Foreign Personnel of Offshore Banking Units under Presidential Decree
  • Foreign Personnel of Regional or Area Headquarters of Multinational Companies


Special Resident Visa in the Philippines

  • Special Investors Residential Visa
  • Special Investors Residential Visa in Tourist-Related Projects and Tourist Establisments
  • Special Investor Retiree Visa
  • Subic Special Investor’s Visa
  • Subic Special Retiree’s Visa


Other Non-immigrant Visas/Permits in the Philippines

  • Subic Special Working Visa
  • Temporary Work Permit
  • Special Work Permit


Immigrant Visa in the Philippines

  • Quota Visa
  • Non-Quota Immigrant



Disclaimer: Expatch does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.

  1. I found your site on Google and read a few of your other entires. Nice Stuff. I’m looking forward to reading more from you.

    • Alexandra Salcedo says:

      Thank you so much, Desiree! I’m glad you liked our website. If you have any topic suggestions or if you have any questions, feel free to type it in the comments box.

  2. Max Walsh says:

    This is an excellent summary of the visas available. So many people ask me for advice about this factor – now I can just point them to your article and “Expatch” website.

  3. Steven Gershon says:

    Yes, I agree with Max, an excellent article that will be useful for expats being asked to explain the visa situation, and for prospective expats who are trying to unravel the options. Many thanks!

  4. A friend forwarded me the link to this article. Very useful if I may I say, this will help me a lot as I’m planning to work in the Philippines. Keep it coming!

  5. This is a good visa primer. Thank you.

  6. Steve Hill says:

    What’s the latest on Quota visas?

    • Graham Gulliver says:

      Someone I know was recently awarded one. He is a kiwi and said that for countries which offer quota visas for Filipinos, the RP government reciprocates. He also said the “quota” is the same for all countries. So if you come from a country like New Zealand with a comparatively small population, your chances are very good. He believed that not all NZ quota visas were taken up each year (fewer applicants than visas available). But, he said it gave him – effectively – permanent residency. He received his on the first attempt. I don’t know how you’d go with a QV with a UK citizenship. Has anyone else applied for one?

      • Thanks Graham

        You’re right about the numbers – 50 is enough for Kiwis but there is pressure for US citizens especially.

        For this visa USD50k “show money” is needed as well as educational or other qualifications to show you’re of value to the country.

        Fee amount to about P40-50k but beware there are fixers asking P200k.

  7. Alexandra Salcedo says:


    Are you interested in being a contributor? There is a signup form on the homepage, right above the categories box. You can login there to create your own Expatch account and then submit articles.

  8. If you are Balikbayan with a passport stamped as such. Does your spouse have to be with you each time you re enter?

    • The family members of a Filipino or former Filipino citizen are granted with the BB visa privilege provided they are accompanied by the Filipino / former Filipino parent or spouse when entering the Philippines. However, this does not apply to restricted nationals.

  9. Edward Hare says:


    Thank you for your wonderful article. It has clarified some questions that I had. I do have a concern I would like your assistance with. According to my wife, our marriage was not officially registered here. We did have the marriage authenticated at the San Francisco Consulate so would that official certification letter with the marriage certificate from California be accepted in lieu of the NSO certified copy?

  10. Edward Hare says:


    I have heard that Character References are required to process the 13(A)Visa. Would you elaborate on the requirements each reference must adhere to.

    Thank you.

  11. bhig manlapaz says:

    hi i would like to ask the difference of 9G visa to special working visa? or are they the same?

  12. Could someone please advise as a retiree non pension what is the current deposit required ? is it 10.000 or 20.000

  13. Is it reasonable to expect a 9E Visa to take less than one week to process?

  14. john paul says:

    Hi im paula and im a gay what will we do if my boyfriend want to stay with me in philippines and we dont know how to do and he want to stay longer here with me for long term. What will we do and how can he stay and become resident here in the philippines i read all the articles but i keep worrying at all. I hope you can help me. Hes from sulaymaniyah iraq

  15. Anthony Davis says:


    I just wanna ask, my Temporary (Tourist) is about to expire, but my application for 9G Visa is still in process, and the decision will be posted next month (december). Do I still need to apply for Tourist Visa Extension?

    Thanks. I hope you can help me.


  16. Hi Anthony,

    Yes. You still need to extend your tourist visa. Approved visa will not be implemented in your passport if your tourist visa (9a) is expired or no longer valid.

    Should you have any clarifications or other visa related questions you may email at me at


  17. Hi, I would like to ask if conversion from student visa to tourist visa will need that person to go out from the country. Also, I’d he was already late in renewing, or converting, say its expired already before he downgrade or convert how much she gonna pay and what another consequences she must take? Appreciate you help. God bless

  18. dom petta says:

    my friend wanted UK VAF1A several days ago and encountered a business with a lot of fillable forms . If you are requiring UK VAF1A too , here’s a

  19. Hi, I am a foreigner, and I wonder how Could I have a temporary permit to stay with my two sons (Filipino citizens) residing in Cebu. Thanks Adriano

    • Marcy Villegas says:

      Hello Mr. Adriano,

      Thank you for your enquiry. I sent you an email this morning and forwarded your question to our visa processing specialist. He shall be keeping in touch with you soon to help you. Cheers!

      (Expatch Editorial Team)

  20. Question- Is the Balakbyan Visa a single or multi-entry visa?

    • Marcy Villegas says:

      Hello Alex,

      Thank you for your question. A Balikbayan Visa is only a single entry valid for 1 year staying in the country. But this will be given only once the foreign national arrived at the airport together with his Filipino husband or Filipina wife with the proof presenting that they are married to each other. If not, he or she will be given a 21 days visa validity as a tourist.

      Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us through Kenneth De Guzman at 0998-845-1602 or send him an email at

      Expatch Editorial Team / Visa Pro Team of MultiRational Corporation

      • Marcy Villegas says:

        Hi Alex. Additionally, if the foreign national arrived with partner without a proof of marriage, a Balikbayan Visa is not applicable. He/she will need a Tourist Visa instead.

        (Thank you to Ms. Lea Asuncion of Visa Pro Team for this information.)

  21. Hi. So, a friend of mine and I are planning to put up a speciality coffee shop business here in Philippines. He’s Slovakian and I’m a Filipino citizen. My question is, what type of visa does he have to apply for to be able to come and stay here for us to be able to start the business?

    • Marcy Villegas says:

      Hello Louise,

      Thank you for your question. Your friend will need:
      1. 9(g) Working Visa | 2. Alien Employment Permit (AEP)

      If he wants to work while waiting for the 9(g) Working Visa (3-month process usually), he may do so but will need a Provisional Work Permit (PWP).

      Please check your email. I sent you more details about 9(g) Working Visa, AEP and PWP. For further enquiries, please contact our office through Kenneth.

      VisaPro by MultiRational Corporation
      Kenneth de Guzman
      Visa Accounts Manager / Business Development Consultant
      Phone: +63 2 886-8584
      Mobile: +63 998-845-1602

      Thank you. We hope to hear from you.

      Expatch Editorial Team

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *